Skip to main content

How do I get a rally racing license?

To take the start line in a rally car or on a motorcycle, there are two official things you need:

  • a NASA membership
  • a NASA Rally Sport rally license

You get both of these in the same place, inside your account on this web site. Start by logging in to your account and then click on the 'License' tab.

We occasionally have some of these questions about licenses, so here we go:

  • Do I need to get a license/membership before I can sign up for a rally? No.
  • Do I have to have a US driver's license to get a rally license? No, international licenses are fine too.
  • Can I get my license/membership at the event? You can, but we really don't recommend this. Trust us on this.
  • Do I have to attend a rally driving school before I get my rally license? No, it's just paperwork. (Why? Because unlike road racing, if you mess up on a rally stage due to inexperience, you won't punt anyone else off the track.)
  • How much does it cost? The membership is $59 and the license is $85.

NASA is the National Auto Sport Association. It covers lots of road racing regions, as well as rally. In a way, you could consider NRS (NASA Rally Sport) like a division of NASA.